Instructions how to design a custom kitchen in 6 easy steps. Download the pdf for a step by step guide of your project.
Start Designing Your Kooyman Custom Kitchen
Kooyman offers you a variety of custom kitchens ranging from different cabinet sizes and types to colors. The following steps will help you design your own Kooyman Custom Kitchen:
Step 1: MEASURE YOUR KITCHEN
Before you can plan your custom kitchen, you need to know the measurements of your kitchen. Accurate measurements help to ensure your kitchen will fit and function properly. You can use the technical drawing of the house, but if this is not available, you can
follow these guidelines to mark walls, doors and windows and other relevant connections.
- Measure the kitchen dimensions from wall to wall and corner to corner
- Measure your wall height from the floor to the ceiling
- Measure the size of doors and windows, the position of the windows
- Mark the direction in which doors and windows open
- Mark any particular items in the kitchen which are fixed, like light switches, water and gas connections, electrical outlets if you do not want to change their position. You can always reposition these items or add extra connections (if adding new appliances) when planning a new kitchen, with the help of an electrician or plumber.
STEP 2: CHOOSE A KITCHEN STYLE
There are different door styles and price groups in stock. Get inspired in our kitchen showroom to choose the style that best fits your home and budget. The knobs and handles are also standard and delivered with each cabinet.
STEP 3: CHOOSE CABINET TYPES AND SIZES
Each door style has a set of cabinet types and sizes available. Consult the style sheet to see the available options in stock. In the kitchen showroom, you can see the different functionalities of each cabinet. If you would like to have built-in appliances, please select the corresponding cabinets to fit.
STEP 4: DRAW THE KITCHEN SETUP
In general, the shape and dimension of the kitchen room, dictates which kitchen layout you can use. Within these layouts there are a few ‘ideal’ setups, which align the common kitchen work zones:
- Washing zone - blue (sink and dish-washer)
- Cooking zone - orange (cook top, oven, range, microwave, range hood)
- Refrigeration zone - white (fridge and other dry storage)
Below you can see some standard zoning guidelines, however, you need to plan your kitchen the
way that best suits your needs.
STEP 5: CHOOSE APPLIANCES, COUNTERTOP AND OTHER ACCESSORIES
For appliances you can use your existing freestanding appliances, or integrate appliances in your kitchen by choosing built in appliances, like an oven, cooktop, range hood, microwave or dishwasher. Look for the appropriate specifications: gas or electric.
A countertop is heavily used in the kitchen.
- Duropal High Pressure Laminate is an economic option, which is very durable and easy to install.
- Corian Countertops are available in a wide range of colors. They are resistant to mold and mildew and can be installed seamlessly. In addition, it can be easily repaired when scratched.
There are different types of sinks.
- Inset - the sink is set on the countertops, leaving an elevated rim.
- Integrated - the sink is integrated in the countertop, making a smooth transition from sink to countertop.
- Undermount - The sink is mounted under the countertop. This is especially suitable for Corian and Granite countertops for a luxurious look.
STEP 6: CONSULT A KOOYMAN KITCHEN EXPERT
To finalize your order, please consult a Kooyman Kitchen Expert. They will further assist you with:
- Further advice and design of your dream kitchen
- Placing the order
- Arranging transportation and installation if desired