Each participant gets the same Weber BBQ and products to work with. Within a two-hour period you must prepare and BBQ a slab of lion ribs, half chicken, ground meat and a surprise meat that will be revealed on the day of the contest. Kooyman will provide the grill, charcoal and fuel. After the two hours you must submit your end product to the judges for judging. The judges will score the samples and the overall highest score will be a contender for the main prize.
There are 3 rounds for the Profs!.
- 1 Master Chef and 2 helpers
- Allowed to bring own spices, knives, forks, spoons and prep plates/cutting boards, bowls etc.
- Points will be deducted on how much membrane is left on the meat.
- Participants will be judged on cleanliness of station and how the products are treated/prepped/stored
- Participants must adhere to time frame given. Meat must be nicely presented and must not include garnish and submitted to event coordinator provided by their number. This will go to judges for judging
- Sauces must be provided in a separate container
- Failure to adhere to the requirements will result in point deduction
- Meat will be scored from 5 – 10 (10 being the best score)
- Judges may visit each team at any time and teams must be able to explain prep method seasonings, etc
- The team must leave the station and BBQ cleaned and ready for the next round
- Winners will be announced at the end of the event
- Appearance of entry – how appetizing does it look?
- Tenderness of entry – moist, juicy, easy to chew. Should pull easily from the bone (if applicable) but must retain body
- Flavor of entry – are there flavors cooked to the meat?
- Overall impression/ area and personal appearance – friendliness of team, cleanliness, organization, time management
- Presentation – explanation of your finished product, presentation of the meat
After acceptance of your participation you are obliged to be present at the information session regarding the BBQ Cook-Off competition. Details regarding the information session will be send to you via a seperate mail.
Please note that your presence at the information session is a must!